New Central Library
As Austin's gateway to knowledge, the New Central Library will redefine the library experience for the 21st century. Designed by award-winning Lake|Flato Architects and Shepley Bulfinch and scheduled to open in 2017, this new flagship building overlooking iconic Lady Bird Lake will be devoted to Austin's intellectual inquiry and cultural vitality.
The New Central Library will provide the entire community access to boundless knowledge through cutting-edge technology, extensive print and digital collections, and dynamic and enriching programming. The facility will feature flexible blended spaces designed to meet the ever-changing needs of our community and will include:
- A 350-seat state-of-the-art event center to
host readings, lectures and screenings and to engage and educate all
segments of our community.
- An art gallery that will feature the
work of local and national artists.
- Special display areas and
collections showcasing Austin’s musical and cinematic achievements.
- A children’s library that will feature
a craft room and a reading porch designed to enhance children’s reading
experience and spark imaginations.
- A teen library that will provide young
adults with a dedicated space promoting creative and collaborative
- A street-level café that features
indoor and outdoor dining.
- Recycled Reads,
the Austin Public Library's zero-waste bookstore.
- A rooftop garden featuring native
species and stunning views of the city’s skyline.
- A rooftop special event area.
- A cooking demonstration area to host
on-site cooking classes that celebrate Austin’s culinary
- A bicycle corral adjacent to the Lance
- An underground 200-car parking garage.
A Green Building
- 200,000 square feet
- Six stories of glass and stone
- On site energy production
- Extensive use of daylight and LEDs
- Demand controlled ventilation
- Variable water flow
- A 200kV Photovoltaic array
- A rainwater harvesting system
- Vegetated roof
- Regional and recycled construction materials
Central Library Timeline
- November 2006: Bond Proposition 6 approved by Austin voters to build a
new central library.
- December 2010: Austin City
Council approved $120 million funding plan.
- May 2013: Groundbreaking
- 2013-2017: Construction
- 2017: Grand opening
Share our site